Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ballroom Blitz!

The RVMS Fifth Graders have been working very hard for the last few weeks in their phy ed classes and music classes on a special unit: Ballroom Dancing! Believe me when I tell you that the kids have been very excited about this unit. The girls on my basketball team often had to be reminded that we were at basketball practice, not ballroom dancing!
~~~
The students worked hard toward their goal of a mini-performance for their parents that was scheduled for this morning, Tuesday, February 9th. As the day drew nearer, the conversation both at basketball practice and at home centered on what the girls would wear for the big day. Given my daughter's aversion to anything even remotely resembling a dress, I didn't have high hopes.
~~~
Imagine my most pleasant surprise, when Abby announced she would not only be wearing a dress for her "dance recital", but she would also allow me to fix her hair!!!! I was thrilled!
~~~
Well, today was the big day, and true to her word, Abz wore a dress, complete with a beautiful "velvet" jacket. Her hair had some fancy braids and a matching hair ribbon as well! What a pretty picture she was. Of course, her outfit wasn't without a few stipulations. She insisted on wearing black leggings under her dress...
~~~
...and her retro pair of Chuck Taylors!
~~~
Yep, my girl has a style all her own! Here she is with her dance partner, Carter.
~~~
The kids demonstrated a variety of dances: the foxtrot, the tango, the polka, swing dancing, meringue, and the electric slide.
~~~
Here is Abz and Carter shakin' it during the swing dance...
~~~
Hmmm... I think this one was the Tango!
~~~
Tango again! They were having fun!
~~~
The kids did a GREAT job with their dance performance! Jamie and I missed the Electric Slide demonstration, as I had to leave to get to work for scheduled patients. :-(
I am hoping to get a look at that someday soon--maybe my basketball girls will give me a recital some night??

3 comments:

Pat said...

Wow Abz, you look nice all duded up as you are and it looks as if you had a fun time. You will have to show Grandpa and me how to do those dances for the dances we attend at Nalcrest!

Sheila said...

Hey....now Abz can dance with Uncle Wes!!!!
Wes and Heather will take Ballroom Dance part 2 next month. :)

The Dorwin's said...

Abz - you look so pretty. I'm glad your mom posted the pictures. I felt like I was there watching you! The only thing missing is a super-duper, up-do french braid!!!
:-)