Thursday, February 14, 2008

Winter Survival Camp

~~~~
After the C-Team Basketball game tonight and the Parent's Night introductions, Jamie, Abby, and I headed north to Camp Phillips to visit Andrew at Winter Survival Camp. We found poor little Andrew sitting on a bench around the campfire looking quite pitiful and forelorn. I immediately took him to the lodge to take some of his cold medicine and to make sure his clothes were warm and dry (they were!).
~~~
The quinzee the boys constructed has turned out to be rather smallish, so Andrew and his friend, Zach, have decided to sleep in the lodge on bunk beds for the night. I can't say that I am disappointed in this decision, as I have been nervous about him sleeping outside all day long! My poor little baby is sick and should be home in his nice, warm bed!!!
~~~
I didn't get much for pictures at Camp--my camera froze up, I think, as it didn't want to take pictures outside! Here are a few shots I did get before the camera malfunctioned!
~~~
Poor little orphan, Andrew, sitting by the fire.
Note the red-rimmed sick eyes!
Andrew sitting by the campfire trying to stay warm
Abby was very curious to see a quinzee, so she was able to look inside and see how very small one is inside. Here she is posing on the outside just in front of the doorway to the quinzee.
And a final look at a finished quinzee--looks so warm and inviting!
We hope Andrew makes it through the night, and that we don't get a midnight (or later) call to come and pick him up! The poor little buddy just didn't seem to be enjoying himself in the freezing 1 degree weather! (It is getting colder as I type, moving toward the goal of -10 to -15 below zero with windchills down to -20 to -30 below!)
~~~
Stay warm, little Andrew!






2 comments:

The Fyllings said...

Poor Andrew.....go get him!

Pat said...

Andrew, Too bad you weren't feeling good for this special time in 7th grade. I know you were looking foreward to it. Only one Klimie left for this project, I hope she will be well for it!
Gram Pat