Friday, January 16, 2009

When Good Dogs Go BAD...

Our recent cold front with dangerous wind chills and -20 below temperatures has greatly limited the time our dogs have been able to be outside. Normally, they get to explore the yard quite a bit every day--sniff every tree, bush, and snowbank. But with the cold temperatures, they are unable to tolerate being outside for more than just a few minutes at a time. Then, they begin to lift their paws off the ground one at a time because their paws begin to freeze.
~~~
This lack of fresh air has, I believe, manifested itself into a bad case of "cabin fever" in these normally well-behaved pooches. Usually, they can stay in the house unattended all day long and be trusted to behave themselves...
Just see how sweet and innocent they look? Well, don't let it fool you!
~~~
Because this is what Jack and Sophie have become over the last week...
~~~
The first casualty was my beloved Columbia boot--the boots I justified making a "larger-than-I-normally-would-have investment in because my foot would never grow again so I could wear them forever" boots. This is what Abby found when she came home from school on Monday night...
~~~
The second casualty of the "cabin fever" happened on Wednesday morning when I was at school for fluoride and tutoring. I was gone for two hours, and when I got home and walked thru the door, this is what I found...
The dogs had eaten--yes, EATEN--half of Austin's leather jacket!!! The liner remains intact--there was no pieces strewn about the room--they ATE the leather off of the outside of the coat! I was so mad at them! I have to admit, that every time they go outside now and they are struggling to make a poo, I take a certain amount of pleasure in that--I think, "serves you right for eating Austin's coat!"
~~~
The naughty dogs have also gotten into the garbage bag that I had taken out of the garbage can in the kitchen today, and Sophie has chewed up two of her favorite toys! Rotten Dogs!!!
~~~
The temperatures had better warm up soon, and these dogs had better shape up soon, or they may be looking for a new home in the near future...
~~~
I think we will rename them both "Marley"...

3 comments:

Pat said...

I'm not even going to show this one to Dad!

Sheila said...

I'm sorry.....I laughed. We could have told you goldens like leather! :)

The Dorwin's said...

I don't know what I would have done if I walked in and saw that......at least it wasn't your couch!!