Friday, April 24, 2009

RVMS Track Meet--Cumberland

Andrew had his first track meet of the season on Tuesday afternoon at Cumberland. The scheduled start time was 4:00. I took off work at 3:30 to arrive in Cumberland in time for the meet to start. Did you know that track meets go in an order??? Field competition starts first, followed by hurdles, lengthy races, etc. Did you know that Andrew's events, the 200m and the 4X200 (formerly known as the 800 relay back in my day) are some of the VERY LAST events of the meet?!? Well, I sure did not!
~~~
After standing at the meet for 2 hours, watching everyone else's kids, I was eagerly anticipating seeing Andrew compete. Well, it seemed it was not to be--my pager went off! Elderly man in the ER with abdominal pain--needs a gallbladder ultrasound--UGH!!! I had just stood out in the cold and wind for TWO HOURS and now I wouldn't get to see my Andrew run! Well, I told the hospital I would be in in about 45 minutes--my maximum call-back period, and I stalled. I sat in my vehicle up on the hill and stalled. I watched the girls run the 200m and I stalled. Finally, the boys started running the 200m--I really had to get going, but I knew Andrew was just about to race, so, I stalled. Of course, there were about 5 heats of boys running the 200m, and Andrew was in the very last heat. As Andrew started running, my pager went off again--oh, no! What could I do, but stall! I waited until Andrew finished his race (only about a half minute), and took off in the "booger" (the Expedition) while I called the ER. Turns out, the doctor changed his mind and wanted a CT instead, and they hoped I wasn't too mad about it! I assured them I was okay, drove around the block, and went back to the track meet! Whew! That was a close one!
:-)
~~~
Here is a picture of Andrew running the 200m, taken from up on the hill through the window of my "booger"...~~~
Andrew's other event was the 4X200m--or the 800m relay, as we called it back in the olden days. Their team did really well, and they beat their own personal best time they had established in practice.
~~~
Here is Andrew receiving the baton from Tim...
~~~
Andrew breaking away from the competition...
~~~
Andrew down the home stretch!
(I love this picture!)
Closing in on the hand-off...
~~~
Elliott (runner #3) handing off to Isaiah (runner #4)
While I was waiting for Andrew's relay race, I was able to watch Neil and Carsen compete in the high jump...
~~~
Here is Carsen clearing the bar...
~~~
Neil grabbing some serious air!
It was a fun (and cold) night at the track! Next meet is next Tuesday at Bloomer...

2 comments:

Pat said...

Good running Barron 8th grade team! Teamwork is a lifelong lesson. learn it well :).

Gram Pat

The Dorwin's said...

I'm glad you didn't miss the opportunity to watch Andrew run.
Great strides, Andrew!!