Friday, March 6, 2009

She's Got Legs! (I don't think this is what ZZTop had in mind...)

Once upon a time, there was a girl--we'll call her "Banana". Banana decided on a career in ultrasound--a fulfilling field, one with lots of variety and many different kinds of exams to be performed. Ultrasound possibilities from head to toe! Arteries in the neck, thyroid glands, breast ultrasounds, livers, gallbladders, kidneys, uterus, ovaries, and the occasional arteries and veins of the arms and legs thrown in. And, of course, the obstetrical ultrasound--the one that always comes to mind when one pictures an ultrasound.
~~~
The sweet little baby showing the arm, leg, and head...
~~~
And, now with the new technological advances, the 3D/4D ultrasounds, which are just like looking at a real picture of your baby!
(Providing your baby cooperates and there is enough amniotic fluid around his/her face, etc.)
~~~
But, never once in all of Banana's daydreaming during those long hours of ultrasound school, did she think her days of scanning would be reduced to looking at this on the ultrasound screen all day long...
LEG VEINS!!!!
~~~
Banana, rather foolishly, I might add, volunteered last year to begin training in the "art" of performing studies on varicose veins in the legs to check for venous competency. This includes scanning the affected legs and drawing maps of all of the veins and their branches (often a 2 hour exam), assisting in surgery to ablate (or technically, burn the inside of the vein to obliterate the blood flow) the nasty veins, and then performing follow-up post-operative studies on the patients at 3 days post-op, 1 month post-op, 6 months post-op, and one year post-op.
~~~
This is what Banana looks at all day...
~~~
What was Banana thinking?!?! There were only supposed to be one or two of these exams scheduled per week... Unfortunately, word got out, and every one of the three days a week Banana works, there are two to three of these exams scheduled! Banana does have a partner in crime, we'll call her, "Racie", as it takes two ultrasound techs to do these studies.
~~~
Yep, one more look for you...
There is some good news--
1. It does provide job security!
2. If you need an exam done to check the competency of the veins in your legs, I know a Banana with a lot of experience and a doctor with a laser that is warmed up and ready to go!
:-)

5 comments:

H said...

Well--I already did the whole laser thing and I can't say I want to do it again! It's too bad they don't just train the doctor--my doctor did all the scanning (?) himself!

The Fyllings said...

Ewww....I would hate to knick one of those when shaving my legs!

Sheila said...

I thought of this blog entry on my way home from church today....and I started laughing out loud...."Banana" :)

Pat said...

I have a spot....do you do the laser too? :). You could make quite a career of just doing all the relatives as there are plenty of us!

Mom

The Dorwin's said...

Sorry I can't help you out, but I would definitely go to the "Banana" for an ultra-sound if I had one of those veins.
:)